Categories
Barbara Hemphill

Why Open Space Offices Didn’t Have To Happen

By Barbara Hemphill Estimates on time wasted by executives on searching for data ranges from 150 hours to six weeks per year. That means if an executive makes $200,000 per year, the company is spending anywhere from $16,600 to $25,000 per year, per executive, looking for lost information. Not only does it represent a dollar […]

Categories
Caitilin Walsh

Automation Doesn’t Solve Everything

Six Things You Should Know About Machine Translation By Caitilin Walsh Taco Bell’s return to Japan in 2015 was widely anticipated, but the company’s launch of its Japanese-language website spawned a media frenzy—not because of the food. With machine-translated menu items that turned “Cheesy Fries” into “Low Quality Fleece” and “Crunchwrap Supreme – Beef” into […]

Categories
Barbara Hemphill

Less is More: The 7 Information Management Questions Every Organization Must Address to Thrive in the Digital Age

By Barbara Hemphill Many companies continue to experience cutbacks in workforce, but not in workload. For the remaining employees, accessing valuable company information becomes increasingly complex, whether it’s a password, an email from a vendor documenting price agreements, or crucial information about a client contract. The computer has allowed us to generate information as never […]

Categories
Peter DeHaan

False Alarms and Other Considerations

By Peter Lyle DeHaan , PhD Regardless of where you work, false alarms have likely caused frustration. I remembered this one day as I searched for the source of an electronic alarm, warning me that something was awry in my house. Since the beeping was intermittent, finding the source was comedic. With each alert I […]

Categories
Martha Ciske

Five Tips for More Effective Helpdesk Resolution

By Martha Ciske Have you ever locked yourself out of an account with a misspelled password? Perhaps you have undergone the agonizing moments when you think you have lost a document or watched the once perfect formatting go from really good to really terrible all in one press of the spacebar? Every day business professionals […]

Categories
Michael Menard

A Fool with a Tool is Still a Fool

By Michael Menard Any software you implement in your organization should enable or enhance a business process. Unfortunately, many people mistakenly believe that the software or technology itself is the solution, when in reality, technology is at best 10 percent of the value equation—the other 90 percent is based on the human factor. Knowing this, […]

Categories
Peter DeHaan

The Total Cost of Ownership

I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I love to have the latest, fastest, and most powerful tools and toys, but I hate the time it takes for implementation, requiring that I preempt more important activities to install, fine-tune, and master my new technology. Therefore, I tend to stick with what I have. However, it […]

Categories
Peter DeHaan

Does Anyone Really Like Speech Recognition?

I’m a huge fan of technology — and the allure of speech recognition (also called IVR or interactive voice response) carries with it great appeal. Yet when it comes to real-life implementations, I find it decidedly lacking and frustration-filled. In the past I’ve been reticent to state my disinclination — knowing that I’m part of […]

Categories
Nathan Jamail

Technology In Business: Use It, Don’t Rely On It

Grab your smartphone and check your appointments, while you’re at it, see if any of your clients have posted anything worthwhile on Facebook, tweet your new prospect, check your e-mail for any new appointment requests and then go grab lunch—what a day! More and more sales professionals are relying on technology to drive sales and […]

Categories
Peter DeHaan

Why Area Codes Change

As telephone numbers are assigned, the availability of numbers within an area code diminishes. In order to make sure that there are always numbers available, usage is analyzed, number exhaustion dates are projected, and steps are taken to provide for more numbers. Although short-term steps can be taken to deal with and respond to this, […]